Pronouns


Everyone's been talking about pronouns. We are talking about, I am writing about, and you are reading.

October 16th is international pronoun day, which is today at time of publishing.

My pronouns are, in no particular, order she/her, they/them, or it.

Lets talk about them

She/her is one of the the "conventional" third person pronouns, along with he/him (N.B. I do not use this; it is the forbidden pronoun here). This pronoun in reference to people, is usually known as the feminine pronouns, typically women use them, but you don't have to if you are and nor do you have to be a binary woman to use she/her. I'm nonbinary and use that. Then there is they/them, the singular they. You probably have already used them without even knowing it. It pronouns, however, are a reclamation for me. The “it” feels genderless and liberating despite its origins to misgender trans people.

Pronouns are a part of language, they are not inherent to any gender, and there are no "biological pronouns". I am not anti-science, I am pro-language. People are already using these pronouns this way and that way, so do quit being a stick in the mud, a shitgibbon, for it costs nothing to respect people's pronouns especially trans people's pronouns. They are canon and mandatory. 

If you did stick around and you're not trans, but cisgender, you are probably thinking what to do now. Should I ask them? Or what? You should give your pronouns, just say them when you introduce yourself to others, and it would give the opportunity for the other person to speak. Online, put your pronouns in the bio and email signatures. Another thing is pronoun buttons, wear them, yes even if you're cis, in fact I encourage cis people, because these actions will normalize this course of action for pronouns. 

I default to singular they for most people, unless I know which pronouns that person uses. Some people do not like they, instead she, he, or any neopronoun.  Singular they in writing works better than doing "he or she" or "(s)he" . This day, remember it costs nothing to use the right pronouns, it won't misgender people. 

Thanks for reading
-Mx. B.D.E

The singular they is centuries old

Support this channel on patreon!

Tip me:
Venmo: @BD-Eakin
Cashapp: $Bdunicorn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As a trans woman I think that...: A Short Essay on Transmisogyny

Confessions of Isolation

A Neoplatonic Pagan Philosophical introduction on The Problem of Evil