Capitalism, labor, and mental health.

Work has a profound impact on one's life, it is what people do for most of their lives, some form of it at least.

I work a part time job and a temporary job, the latter has a career path with promises of a permanent position, though it is with the U.S. Government, and not one of many private businesses that seem to run it haha. The problem is that people still think working 40 hours is enough, some people work overtime, or not enough time, and therefore won’t get employee benefits. Mental health needs to be one of them, especially when most people feel alienated, this is one of the core analyses in Marxist theories, the alienation of labor. People feel estranged from their work because it is often not personally meaningfully, they are working under hierarchical institution whose goals often not align with the workers’ goals, since profit motives do not translate into prosperity for all, but mere meager wages. This goes neatly into surplus value. Workers, whomever they may be, it probably looks more like some desk job rather than mining or farming. The material conditions changed. However, mental health under capitalism has one type of condition, that is feeling worthless due to unemployment or underemployment, labor value is a value system that impacts one’s own esteem.

Overall, I want to feel valued as a person and not as just a lackey of an enterprise that I have no personal stake in. Sure, I would be an employee but the employer and employee dynamic can be alienating especially when fellow employees compete for the slim chance of promotions. I want to work, but for my desires, my community, and my loved ones, not for capital. However I am forced to participate. I must market my skills to employers as a potential valuable employee.

Mental health can be better once we start putting people over profits.

Now excuse me, I need to plug my income sources, why yes I'm hypocrite (sarcasm)

Love ya!

-Mx B.D.E

Support this blog on Patreon

Tip me
Venmo: @BD-Eakin
Cashapp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As a trans woman I think that...: A Short Essay on Transmisogyny

Confessions of Isolation

A Hellenist's review of Natalie Haynes' Pandora's Jar: Women in the Greek Myths (Pandora the first woman ever)