As an Autistic Adult: The Introduction to a Conversation

 Hello everyone!

This is Diana of BDUnicorn 

I started this in the end of autism month, which was April,  so yet again I want to make a quick little rambling conversational blog for that and also to release myself from a hiatus driven by insecurities and perfectionism, which like autism is a big part of my own mental health.

What is the deal with autism? I know right?

Why is autism almost always portrayed as a children's thing? Where are the autistic adults like me? It's not uncommon for many autistic adults to find out that they're autistic when they are 20+ or 30+ and so on, I however always knew that I was autistic because I had an early diagnosis at the behest of my parents carefully scrutinizing my own development as a toddler and child. 

 Last year I had discussed why many autistic people were disproportionately trans and queer, also some musings about fashion and sensory stimulation. But this year I want people to talk about us, the adult autistics who used to be children either coddled or neglected. 

Adult autistic issues are rarely talked about, like employment for example. Did you know that autistic people are more likely to unemployed or underemployed compared to non-autistic peers of the same age and or education? Yeah shocker, you thought we are all NEETs living in our parents basement, and unfortunately you're not entirely wrong. But that does say a lot about the treatment of autistic and also disabled adults (Autism is considered a disability by law and many autistic people have other disabilities whether mental or physical)

Disability justice and rights is definitely another theme that needs more discussion for us autistic adults.

My disability is not a weakness or a failing, yet the reception of it shows how weak the society that fails us is. Disability is not to be overcome but accommodated and accepted. One of the benefits of civilized society is care and inclusion of disability, yet disability shows the spice of life, especially autism and its spectrum– variety. People are varied and many faceted. Embracing diversity is probably one of those cliches at this point, but I firmly stand by it as a principle to shape society moving forward.

My void-wife and I are not legally married, we do not need to be of course, unless our finances made sense for it, but marriage excludes you from receiving disability benefits in the United States and your assets are capped at $2000. 

Having a job can even jeopardize that, if you are able to work in some capacity. 

My own line of work is at the moment freelance writing, but I have gotten tastes of retail and customer service and they were legitimately grueling for me. I know those are considered "shit jobs" anyway, works sucks I know.

This kinda ends abruptly, since normally I will write a first draft and either do two things, forget about for a while or hastily rush out a final draft as if tomorrow at midnight is due date that I must email this blog or rant or essay to you my audience you are like the professor in this pretentious silly analogy. 

I wanted this to revive and bump up my online content mill, but I think how I end this is immaterial. Instead have this mad raving post and if it brings you joy, good, but if it makes you sad or angry, well I am sorry, I am just a creature with internet access. Enough said.

Another month or two stuck in foggy nothingness, it is very jarring especially when I could read and write so much more when I was young or a student. I was gifted but also poisoned by own environment but some say I needed much more personal responsibility and I hear you I really do, but for once I like to remind you that I am at the mercy of my mind. I am being treated and I am doing my best even if on some days I am tired, usually having any set of plans is enough to set myself in motion but it takes certain will power. I am sure a large chunk of my audience can not only relate but have experienced the same exact thing as I do. 

In closing I have no idea how to wrap this up. But I can certainly say that this will be a springboard or part 1 of my autistic adult series. I hope that this will gain or sustain my readership but who knows? Maybe you do know!

Thanks, 

Diana of the Unicorns.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As a trans woman I think that...: A Short Essay on Transmisogyny

Confessions of Isolation

A Hellenist's review of Natalie Haynes' Pandora's Jar: Women in the Greek Myths (Pandora the first woman ever)